Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Christian of Halloween

Lately, as I peruse the store to complete my costume ensemble, I'm reminded of all the candies that line the aisles.  I think about picking up a bag, then remember, "I don't celebrate or condone the practice of Halloween and the distribution of candy thereof."

However; the more I though about it, the more it pushed at my heart.  Why not? Why can't I hand out candy to little kids ringing at the door?

I grew within multiple churches, and multiple families who share the same sentiment. Going trick-or-treating is a bad thing, and encourages the spirit of what Halloween really represents such as demonic ritualism and pagan sadism.  Upon which many unfortunate tragedies have befallen on this day as an honoring to the dead, or sponsors of such evil powers etc etc.

To hand out candy would mean that we accept these values and we allow them to continue if we open the door, but I wonder if that really is so.  I know this world enjoys raving about Christians being intolerant, bigot, closed minded etc.  I believe that to a certain extent, yes we are to be separate from the world, but which acts demonstrate an intolerance of sin, and which acts just demonstrates intolerance?

Giving out candy seems like a pretty trivial matter, and when we have a chance to give, why not generously? It's not everyday we have a chance to show little children kindness where they get dressed up and walk up to our doors and ask for candy.  For all they know, this holiday is about giving out candy if we dress up!  But encountering houses that don't do trick-or-treat can be a sad thing for a little kid.

Look, I get it, we don't want to honor satanic worship, but is handing out candy really satanic?  Is being strict about principles really worth the possible ostracism of a child?  What are we telling the world we're trying to save when we withhold this generous act for the sake of principles that no one cares about but us?   Will they commend us for sticking to our principles? Will they think how righteous we are for staying on the straight and narrow?  Will this demonstrate the love of Christ?  I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment